Nutrition and Dietetics Courses
Tamilnow Articles -> Eligibility Criteria, Remuneration and Courses in Nutrition and Dietetics
Eligibility Criteria :
Candidates seeking admission to Bachelor course in Nutrition & Dietetics are
required to pass the Higher Secondary Examination or Plus two in science
subjects covering physics, chemistry, home science and biology. With a few
exceptions, dietetics is studied only after a bachelor's degree in any one of
the disciplines like home science, medicine, science (with chemistry,
microbiology), hotel management and catering technology.
There are different courses in Nutrition and Dietetics.
* M.Sc (Nutrition), which is a 2 year course after graduation. Preferable fields of graduation are - Microbiology, Chemistry, Home Science, Medicine, Hotel management or catering technology.
* Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics & Public Health Nutrition (DDPHN) : B.Sc. in Home Science (10+2+3) from a recognized university with 50% marks in aggregate & 50% or more in aggregate in foods and nutrition, physiology and biochemistry Administration, Applied Physiology, Biochemistry, Food, Microbiology, Nutrition, Public Health Nutrition and Therapeutic Nutrition 1 year with 3-month internship in a hospital Applications.
* After doing Post graduation programme, one can also go in for PhD and do Research in Food and Nutrition.
* Certificate courses in Food And Nutrition and Nutrition & child care
* Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education
* P.G Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics, Dietetics and Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition and Food Technology, Dietetics, Clinical Nutrition
* B.Sc in 1. Nutrition & Dietetics 2. Food Science, Nutrition & Biochemistry 3. Food Service Management, Dietetics, Chemistry 4. Food Science, Nutrition & Food Quality Control 5. Clinical Nutrition, Dietetics& Catering Management
* M.Sc. Applied Nutrition, Food Science & Nutrition, health Science &Dietetics, Food service management & Dietetics, Food Nutrition & Dietetics
* Ph.D in Nutrition & Dietetics
M.Phil in food & Nutrition
Remuneration for Nutrition & Dietetics :
Salary scales can depend on the job and area of work. In private hospitals, trainees can get a payscale of Rs. 2500 per month which goes up to Rs. 4500 - 5000 with benefits. As they gain experience, the pay packets can also rise. The other fields like Research work, teaching, catering jobs, food services department etc will fetch better pay packets.