Government Museum, Chennai
Government Museum, Chennai is a multi-purpose State Government Museum located in Egmore, which is the heart of the city, spreading to an area of 16.25 acres of land. Six independent buildings in this Museum campus has 46 galleries.
In January 1851 AD, Dr. Edward Balfour, Medical Officer of the Governor's Body guard was appointed as the First Officer in charge of the Government Museum.
The Government Museum otherwise called as the Central Museum was started in the College of Fort St. George, in the premises of the present office of the Director of Public Instruction, on College Road.
In December 1854 AD, it was shifted to a building named the Pantheon, also known as the Public Rooms or Assembly Rooms, where the elite of the city met.
The objects displayed in the museum cover a variety of artifacts and objects covering diverse fields including archeology ,numismatics ,zoology ,natural history ,sculptures ,palm-leaf manuscripts and Amravati paintings.
Director of Museums
Chennai - 600 008.
Tamil Nadu India.
Phone : 91-44-2819 3238
Fax : 91-44-2819 3035
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web : http://www.chennaimuseum.org/