There are several museums in Tamilnadu to showcase the rich cultural and historical heritage of the state. Here are some popular museums in Tamil Nadu:
Government Museum, Chennai: The Government Museum in Chennai is one of the oldest and largest museums in India. It houses a vast collection of art, archaeology, and numismatics, including the famous Bronze Gallery.
Mahabalipuram Maritime Heritage Museum: Located in Mahabalipuram, the Maritime Heritage Museum showcases the rich maritime history of Tamil Nadu, with exhibits of ship models, navigational instruments, and other artifacts.
Gandhi Memorial Museum, Madurai: The Gandhi Memorial Museum in Madurai is dedicated to the life and works of Mahatma Gandhi. It houses a collection of photographs, paintings, and other exhibits related to Gandhi and the Indian independence movement.
Pudukkottai Museum: The Pudukkottai Museum in Pudukkottai district showcases the cultural and historical heritage of the region. It houses a collection of sculptures, paintings, and other artifacts, including the famous bronze statue of Buddha.
Thanjavur Royal Palace and Art Gallery: The Thanjavur Royal Palace and Art Gallery houses a collection of art and artifacts from the Nayak and Maratha dynasties, including paintings, textiles, and weapons.
Wax World Museum, Ooty: The Wax World Museum in Ooty is a popular tourist attraction that houses a collection of wax figures of Indian historical and cultural icons, including Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and Sachin Tendulkar.
There are also several other museums in Tamil Nadu, including the Government Museum in Pudukkottai, the Raja Raja Cholan Museum in Thanjavur, and the Folk Art Museum in Salem, among others.
Web Directory all major Museums in Tamilnadu with brief information and website addresses.
- Vivekananda Museum, Chennai : Vivekananda Museum is one of the most celebrated Museums in Tamil Nadu that upholds the rich heritage of Indian Culture.
- Fort St. George Museum, Chennai : It is a multipurpose museum located exactly near the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum : Royal Palace Museum is one of the ancient museums in the town which holds ancient items, images, paintings, sculptures.
- Government Museum, Chennai : Government Museum, Chennai is a multi-purpose State Government Museum located in Egmore, which is the heart of the city, spreading to an area of 16.25 acres of land.
- Gandhi Memorial Museum, Madurai : It is governed by the committee of executive members and general body members.
- Tamil University Museum, Thanjavur : Tamil University Museum has a collection of coins and musical instruments.
- DakshinaChitra Museum, Muttukadu : DakshinaChitra is a museum of art, architecture, lifestyles, crafts and performing arts of South India.