Arulmigu Meenakshi Sundareswarar ThiruKovil, Madurai
The enormous temple complex is dedicated to Shiva, known here as Sundareshvara and his consort Parvati or Meenakshi. There are 12 temple towers(Gopurams). The outer towers are the landmarks of Madurai.
According to legend, the sacred Suyambulingam discovered by the king of Gods `Indiran' at Kadambavanam, was later enshrined by him in Madurai.
The temple was almost completely destroyed in the year 1310 following the invasion of the Islamic coqueror Malikkapur. The temple was restored to its pristine glory in the late 14th century when the Hindu Kings came back to power in Madurai.
The King Thirumalai Naicker played an important role in the construction of the new form of the temple.
Madurai 625 001.
Telephone: 091- 452- 2344360.
Fax: 091- 452- 2341777
Email : email@example.com
Web : http://www.maduraimeenakshi.org/