Temples(Page 1 of 4)
Tamil Nadu is famous for its ancient temples, which showcase the rich cultural and religious heritage of the state. Here are some of the most popular temples in Tamil Nadu:
Meenakshi Amman Temple, Madurai: Dedicated to Goddess Meenakshi, this temple is one of the most visited temples in Tamil Nadu. It is known for its beautiful architecture, including the towering gopurams and intricate carvings.
Brihadeeswarar Temple, Thanjavur: This temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the largest temples in Tamil Nadu. It is known for its towering vimana and stunning frescoes.
Kanchipuram Temples: Kanchipuram, also known as the "City of Temples," is home to many important temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, and Goddess Parvati. Some of the popular temples in Kanchipuram include Kailasanathar Temple, Varadaraja Perumal Temple, and Kamakshi Amman Temple.
Ramanathaswamy Temple, Rameswaram: This temple, located on the island of Rameswaram, is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples in India. It is known for its long corridors and beautiful architecture.
Srirangam Temple, Trichy: This temple, dedicated to Lord Ranganatha, is one of the largest temple complexes in India. It is known for its stunning architecture and beautiful sculptures.
Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram: This temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva in his form as Nataraja (the cosmic dancer), is one of the most important temples in Tamil Nadu. It is known for its stunning architecture, including the gold-covered roof of the sanctum sanctorum.
These are just a few of the many temples in Tamil Nadu, and there are many other important and beautiful temples to visit in the state.
Details about Temples in Chennai, Trichy, Coimbatore, Nagarkovil, Kanyakumari, Thanjavur and Kancheepuram. Info about major temples like Chidambaram, Madurai, Palani etc.
- Kapaleeswara Temple, Mylapore, Chennai : Lord Kapaleeswara is the presiding deity of the temple at Mylapore in Chennai.
- Vadivudai Amman Temple, Tiruvotriyur, Chennai : Vadivudai Amman Temple at Tiruvotriyur, several centuries old, eulogized by poets, scholars and devotees alike, affirms the splendor of India’s religious tradition and spiritual ethos.
- Arulmigu Meenakshi Sundareswarar ThiruKovil, Madurai : The enormous temple complex is dedicated to Shiva, known here as Sundareshvara and his consort Parvati or Meenakshi.
- Thenthirumalai Sri Balaji Temple, Coimbatore : Like the hill temple in Tirumala-Tirupati in Andhra pradesh, the THEN-THIRUMALA temple,Coimbatore,in Tamilnadu is located on a natural hill formation
- Nava Kailayam Temples : The nine Siva Thalangal(Shrines) are located uniquely on the riverbed of Perennial of Thambirabarani.
- Bragatheeswarar Temple, Thanjavur : Rajaraja Cholan, the Great Chola king built The Bragatheeswarar (Peruvudaiyar) Temple, also known as Big Temple.
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Mylapore, Chennai : The presiding deity of Kapaleeshwarar Temple is a form of Shiva called Kapaleeshwarar.
- Arulmigu Dhandayuthapani Swamy Temple, Palani : The Palani Murugan temple has been constructed on the top of a hill.
- Sri Ellai Mariamman Temple, Mylapore, Chennai : Sri Ellai Mariamman Temple Idol has been in existence for more than 120 Yrs.
- Arulmigu Balamurugan Tirukkovil, Rathinagiri : Rathinagiri Bala Murugan Temple was built around 14th century. Over the passage of time an ordinary sand structure was converted into a stone shrine.