Tamil Nadu is a state located in the southern part of India and has a rich cultural heritage. Christianity has a long history in Tamil Nadu, with the arrival of St. Thomas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ, in the first century AD. Today, Tamil Nadu is home to a diverse range of churches, including:
Santhome Cathedral Basilica: This is a Roman Catholic church located in the city of Chennai. It is dedicated to St. Thomas and is built over his tomb.
Velankanni Church: Also known as the Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health, this is a Catholic church located in the town of Velankanni. It is a major pilgrimage site and attracts millions of visitors every year.
St. Mary's Church: Located in the city of Madurai, this is a historic Catholic church built in the 17th century by the Portuguese.
Armenian Church: This is a historic church located in the city of Chennai. It was built in the 18th century by the Armenian community and is one of the oldest churches in the city.
CSI Wesley Church: Located in the city of Royapettah in Chennai, this is a historic Protestant church built in the 19th century.
St. George's Cathedral: This is a Protestant church located in the city of Chennai. It was built in the 19th century and is known for its Gothic architecture.
St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral: This is an Orthodox church located in the city of Chennai. It was built in the 20th century and is known for its beautiful architecture.
CSI Christ Church: Located in the city of Trichy, this is a historic Protestant church built in the 19th century.
These are just a few examples of the many churches that can be found in Tamil Nadu. Each of them has a unique history and architecture, and they are important landmarks of the state's cultural heritage.
- Apostolic Christian Assembly Church, Purasawalkam, Chennai : Directed by the Lord and sustained by Him are unmistakable in the footprints left by Pastor.G.Sundaram, who founded this ministry in the year 1948
- Annai Velankanni Shrine, Beasant Nagar, Chennai : The legendary Annai Vailankanni Shrine, Besant Nagar, Chennai, the holy place of the mother of health, has been located at the Elliot’s beach.
- St.Anthony's Church, Puliyampatty, Tuticorin dist : Shrine of St.Anthony at Puliyampatty in Tuticorin District of Tamil Nadu comes under the R.C. (Roman Catholic) Diocese of Palayamkottai (Tirunelveli).
- Peace Assembly of God Church, Samathanapuram, Tirunelveli : A 'Chialpha Study Centre' for college students was begun in Samadhanapuram.
- Loyola College Church, Chennai : The Church of Christ, the King, has been an inalienable part of those who have anything to do with Loyola College.
- St.Catherine's Church, Eraviputhenthurai, Kanyakumari : St.Catherine's Church plays a Vital role in the day-to-day life of the Villagers of Eraviputhenthurai and comes under the Arch-Diocese of Thiruvananthapuram.
- Santhome Cathedral Basilica, Chennai : The present National Shrine of St.Thomasis built over the tomb of Saint Thomas the Apostle.
- Vailankanni Church, Nagapattinam : Not only do multitudes of Catholic travel there throughout the year but many non-Christians visit as well.
- Mosjos Mission Church, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai : Mosjos Mission Church is at Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai. The church is under Mosjos Evangelical Mission Trust
- St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Chennai : St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Church at Little Mount is a popular destination of Christian Pilgrims to Chennai.