Most of the schools give out a limited number of application forms only. So the parents will have to wait in the long queue, sometimes from the previous day evening itself, to get an application for their ward. The dilemma does not end there. There are many other processes to go through. After submitting the application forms, the parents and the kids must attend a 'personal interaction' session with the school authorities. Most schools require both the parents to attend this session. The child and the parents will be interviewed.
Many of the top schools will give admission to children who have a sibling already studying in the same school, or the children of the alumini of the school and then the other applicants. But in this other category also, people with recommendations and those who can donate generously to school will get the first priority. There are people who give lakhs as donation to top schools to acquire admission for their little ones to LKG and even Pre KG.
Some of the schools admit students only in the Pre KG. Those who do not have Pre KG classes begin admissions in LKG. If you do not admit your child in LKG in a prestigious school in Chennai, then it is extremely difficult to get into these schools at a later stage.
Admission Process : The admission process to LKG starts in the months of December and January. Schools give out applications to prospective students in November-December every year. The application form has to be filled out and submitted to the school office within a stipulated time, mostly a week. Then the school authorities would call you and your child for an interview and finalize the admissions based on the performance in the interview and many other criteria, which the schools will not disclose.
Age Criteria for admission to LKG : The child should have completed 3+ years as on December of the previous year of the admission. That is, if your child has completed 3 years in December 2006, then he will be eligible for admission to LKG in June 2007 session. This criteria is applicable to so many CBSE schools in Chennai. But there are many Matriculation as well as CBSE schools which admit children who have completed 3 years as on May of the year of admission.
Pre KG admissions : There are many good Play schools and Montessori schools in Chennai. These schools admit children who are above two years to Pre KG classes. The method of schooling is Play Method.
Schools offering CBSE/ICSE Syllabus :
1. Padma Seshadri BalaBhavan Senior Secondary School, (Nungambakkam & KK Nagar), Chennai http://www.psbbschools.ac.in/
2. Vidya Mandir Senoir Secondary School, Mylapore, Chennai http://www.vidya-mandir.com/
3. Chettinad Vidyashram, R.A.Puram, Chennai http://www.cvs.ac.in/cvs/index.htm
4. DAV Senior Secondary School (many schools from DAV group for boys and girls, at Gopalapuram, Mogappair, Anna Nagar)
5. The Schram Academy, Maduravoyal http://www.theschramacademy.com
6. Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Z-Block Belly Area, Annanagar, Chennai
7. Bala Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School, Adyar, Chennai http://www.balavidyamandir.org/Home.html
8. Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School, Cochin House, Anderson Road, Chennai
9. The School, KFI, Adyar, Chennai http://www.theschoolkfi.org/
10. Sishya School, Adyar, Chennai http://www.sishya.com/
Schools offering Matriculation Syllabus :
1. Boston Matriculation Higher Secondary School, (Nandanam & Alwarpet), Chennai http://www.boston-school.com/
2. SBOA Matriculation School, Anna Nagar
3. Velammal Matriculation and Higher Secondary School, T.S Krishna Nagar, Chennai http://22.214.171.124/~velammal/
4. Sri Krishnaswamy Matriculation Higher Sec. School , (Anna Nagar & Nungabakkam) http://www.krishnaswamyschools.com
5. Akshayah Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Velachery http://www.akshayah.in/index.htm
6. Prince Matriculation Higher Secindary School, Madippakkam, Chennai